This blog will primarily be about my ttc (trying to conceive) journey. We are ttc in our 30's as full-time working professionals, and trying for our second baby. We have been blessed with one wonderful child.

I decided to start this blog to record my experiences and express myself, to give information and support to others, and to receive information and support from others. Please understand that although this blog is public, my husband and I plan to keep it anonymous. Please feel free to leave comments or ask any questions. I hope you will share this journey with us!

Friday, January 1, 2010

Clomid


I met with my obgyn again, because I was concerned about the 41 day cycles.
She was concerned about the late ovulation. She prescribed me clomid, to take one 50mg pill each day on CD 3-7, and to call her after I ovulate for a progesterone test. Clomid is a first-line fertility medication and the most prescribed. It induces ovulation, and as my doc said, "cleans everything up," so my cycles should be more normal. I am not taking Fertilaid this cycle, although she wasn't specifically against me taking it. Clomid can cause hot flashes, mood swings, dryness, and a more serious, OHSS, Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome. I have already noticed dry mouth, some breast sensitivity, and ovarian sensations on CD 5 and 6. I think I'll start doing OPK's on CD 11, as many women ovulate on clomid around CD 14-17. In my case, I'd be happy with anything between CD 18 to 22. And finally on the subject, my insurance did not cover the cost of clomid. The generic was relatively cheap, but still; not cool. And I have heard nasty rumors that insurance companies will deny coverage if a person has ever taken clomid, has anyone else heard that too?

In happier news, I also took one of the First Response Fertility Tests, and the results were "normal," which means I have a normal ovarian reserve and FSH (follicle stimulating hormone). You take the test on CD 3 with FMU (first morning urine). It costs $25-$30, but that was worth the confidence boost!

So now you are finally caught up on our 7 month ttc journey. Today is January 1st, 2010! Happy New Year! This is my first cycle with clomid, I am on CD 6, and will be finishing up the clomid tomorrow. I hope that anyone reading this who is also trying to conceive will get their BFP (big fat positive) this cycle!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Kim! I followed you over from TWW and wanted to say I look forward to following you on your journey! You and I have similar reference links, looks like we have been swarming the same websites! I took Clomid one cycle for the Clomid Challenge Test and I found it to be crule. (it made me period late and I am pretty regular so I thought I was preggers) Anyway, best of luck this cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am starting clomid next month. we are trying again after a bad miscarriage 10 months ago. i fear the side effects but am hoping that a positive pregnancy test will make it all worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. j, I'm so sorry to hear about your miscarriage. have you ever been on clomid before? my side effects this month haven't been too bad, new post coming soon. it will all be worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. kim my side effects ranged from fatigue, bloating, dizziness and large appetite. i had to take them days 5-9. i began feeling normal on day 10 thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clomid is inexpensive and is usually the first in a line of treatments that will be offered to the patient and its works most of the time and produce good results

    ReplyDelete