This blog will primarily be about my ttc (trying to conceive) journey. We are ttc in our 30's as full-time working professionals, and trying for our second baby. We have been blessed with one wonderful child.

I decided to start this blog to record my experiences and express myself, to give information and support to others, and to receive information and support from others. Please understand that although this blog is public, my husband and I plan to keep it anonymous. Please feel free to leave comments or ask any questions. I hope you will share this journey with us!

Friday, January 1, 2010

The soy epiphany


In the wake of the chemical, I was determined to learn from it so it wouldn't happen again. My continued internet research lead me to my soy epiphany, and it was devastating. I had been a vegetarian and my primary source of protein was soy protein. Well, soy has phytoestrogens, and this can cause problems for ttc if you have too much soy. This is all still very controversial, there is a lot of different info out there, so do your research. To my horror, I realized that virtually all our processed foods contain some form of soy protein, soy lecithin, soybean oil, textured vegetable protein... From my pre-natal vitamins, to whole-grain cereals, to cookies, and just about anything else that comes in a package. I realized that it was impossible for us to eliminate soy, we could only reduce it. On a positive note, fermented soy, is the only safe soy to eat while ttc, I think. Fermented soy includes soy sauce, miso, and tempeh.
Here's info on soy:
http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/
http://www.westonaprice.org/Myths-Truths-About-Soy.html
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art14831.asp

Here is a really long article that was revolutionary to me, it puts it all together, soy, Omega 3's and Omega 6's. 1=31036">1=31036">http://health.msn.com/nutrition/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100245164>1=31036

I further realized just how many hormone mimicking and affecting chemicals we are exposed to daily, and particularly through our diets. Think about the hormones in meats, eggs, and dairy products. Pesticides used on vegetables also mimic hormones, so organic is better. And BPA and water bottles, or any plastics for that reason, also mimic hormones... I will just say this was all very revolutionary for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment