This blog will primarily be about my ttc (trying to conceive) journey. We are ttc in our 30's as full-time working professionals, and trying for our second baby. We have been blessed with one wonderful child.

I decided to start this blog to record my experiences and express myself, to give information and support to others, and to receive information and support from others. Please understand that although this blog is public, my husband and I plan to keep it anonymous. Please feel free to leave comments or ask any questions. I hope you will share this journey with us!

Thursday, February 25, 2010

I love BBT charting!

Two different docs at two different hospitals told me not to temp. They said it was unreliable, and there were more accurate methods, such as OPKs. But, clomid caused my OPKs to be less reliable, and my body symptoms to decrease, so I realized I needed another method to monitor ovulation.

Temping can provide a lot of information about a woman's cycle that OPKs can not. Most importantly, temping confirms that ovulation occurred, while OPKs can not. You can watch for patterns such as biphasic, triphasic, temp dips, see how quickly your temps rise or when they fall, or if they stay high - all these things indicate different information.

Temping is SO easy!! The hardest thing about it, was finding a basal body thermometer! Walmart doesn't carry them, CVS had one for $11, and Walgreens had one for $9 something, so I bought at Walgreens. This is how I do it: At 6AM I take my temp without turning on a light or putting on my glasses. It takes less than a minute and beeps when it's done, my husband never wakes up. Then I either get up and read the thermometer, or go back to sleep until 7AM. Whenever I get up, I use the handy memory feature and record my temp on paper. Then I enter it into Fertility Friend and it creates my chart. And I'm probably a nerd, but I love plugging in my values every day to see how my chart takes shape! It's so rewarding to believe I ovulated and then have my temps confirm it. I had always thought my temps would be very erratic. But, I am pleasantly surprised that it doesn't matter if my cat wakes me up at 4AM, or if I kick the covers off and wake up cold, or wear flannel pj's to bed and wake up hot and sweaty, amazingly enough, my core temp remains consistent regardless of how I feel outwardly. I never had any idea! Now I know. So simple.

Temping this month helped me definitively pinpoint when ovulation actually happened, something I haven't known until now. It confirms that I have been correct with my body symptoms, even the new ones while on clomid. And going just by them, I would have correctly guessed ovulation. I've been thinking the OPK's were turning positive the day I ovulated, but they really do turn positive the day before ovulation. I think I have a beautiful biphasic pattern this month. The most exciting part was when Fertility Friend put my ovulation crosshairs on the chart, it does that after three days of high temps. I'm new to BBT, so take a look at my chart and please share your analysis!

7 comments:

  1. I'm a charter too and addicted! I love it! I got my thermometer at Target for fairly inexpensive. I wish it had a built in back light. I do the same, set the alarm and take my temp without waking hubby!

    You chart is beautiful!!! Perfectly biphasic with a gorgeous rise after O. I would be proud too! Your BD timing was perfect too, good job!

    I noticed you do not get the fertile CM (something I struggle with too) I started taking EPO (evening primrose oil) from CD 1 to ovulation and it has helped tremdousely. Just thought I would pass that along. Hopefully you wont need my advise though because you get your BFP this cycle!!!!

    xoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am glad that it is easy for you. it was my personal nightmare because i wake up a lot and didn't buy a thermometer with a memory. just found out i have huge fibroids so the round of clomid was a waste of time. oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say that I get a little giddy anytime someone posts a link to their FF chart. I've looked at the charts in FF (like, a lot!) and I always wonder what the stories are behind the charts. It's so nice to have a story and a chart together! And yours looks fabulous! Those are really good temps! And I still think this is your cycle!! Fingers crossed for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, girls! You all are so funny.
    Kim- thanks for the positive analysis, and the tip on EPO, I will definitely keep it in mind. It is possible I had some EWCM but couldn't discern it from BD stuff, so I erred on the safe side I guess.

    j- yeah,temping is not for everyone that's for sure. I'm sorry it didn't work for you. And I'm so sorry you got bad news about fibroids! But I guess it's better to know. Have you found out what you or they can do?

    Jane- you are so cute! yes, it is the best to have the story and the chart too, I enjoy that as well. Do you post your charts, or have I just missed that on your blog? Your positive words cause me to have hope.

    thanks for your support!
    -Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim - If you click on the fertility chart ticker at the top of my blog, it links to my chart. But this month's is kinda sad - I just haven't been in the mood to temp. But scroll down and you'll see last month's, too, which looked really good... until it didn't. Oh, well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am new here can someone look at my chart and see if I have ovulated so far? I am on cycle day 22 been taking clomid since march 8. I had a success preagnancy using clomid 50mg day 5-9 back in Aug 2010. Here is my chart

    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/27299c

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gladys,
    I'm sorry, but it does not look like you have had a sustained rise yet. Your previous successful chart showed you ovulated on CD 23, so maybe you will get a confirmation (crosshairs) in the next day or so. Your CD 10 looks like the only thing close to ovulation, but it is not sustained. Good luck!!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete